If you have an Existing Health Disorder you will need to call 1800 008 473 to complete an assessment. The assessment will determine whether we are able to provide you with cover for that disorder. If the Existing Health Disorder is accepted, a non-refundable $100 administrative fee will also be charged for assessing your application for Existing Health Disorder cover. Payment can be made by Credit Card over the phone.
Existing Health Disorder means:
(a) any illness, disease or other condition, including symptoms thereof suffered by You, Your Relative, business associates, or Travelling Companion, which in the one year period before You applied for this insurance:
(i) first manifested itself, worsened, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused an ordinarily prudent person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or
(ii) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, or tests or further investigation had been recommended by a legally qualified medical practitioner; or
(iii) was treated by a legally qualified medical practitioner or treatment had been recommended by a legally qualified medical practitioner.
(b) It shall also mean any congenital, hereditary, chronic or ongoing condition of Yours, Your Relative, business associates, or Travelling Companion which You or they are aware of, or could reasonably be expected to be aware of, before You applied for this insurance.
If you have an Existing Health Disorder, simply call Travel Guard® on 1800 008 473 to complete our phone-based medical assessment. Before you call please refer below to conditions that may be covered as you may not require a formal assessment.
If you wish to apply for cover:
• Travel Guard® will fairly assess applications but cannot guarantee acceptance.
• Travel Guard® may either:
1. accept, or
• If applicable, may request additional premium payment for the Existing Health Disorder cover.
• If the Existing Health Disorder is accepted, a non-refundable $100 administrative fee will also be charged for assessing Your application for Existing Health Disorder cover. Payment can be made by Credit Card over the phone.
• Travel Guard® will advise you of the outcome of the assessment on the phone and arrange a confirmation letter to be sent to you.
• If cover can be provided, Travel Guard® will advise you of the terms of cover and Plan Code, together with an Assessment Number.
• Cover of Existing Health Disorders is limited to the approval for the original Policy and cannot be extended.
You must retain a copy of our confirmation letter, which contains your Assessment Number, in the event of submitting a claim.
To be assessed by Travel Guard® you will need to:
a. Telephone the Travel Guard® Medical Assessment Unit on 1800 008 473 (8.30am to 5pm week days, excluding public holidays)
b. Request an 'Existing Health Disorder' assessment.
You will need to provide the medical assessment unit with the following:
• Relevant traveller's full name and age;
• Details of the Trip;
• Details of condition, current treatments and medications;
• Contact details of the relevant traveller's current Doctor; and
• Medical reports as required by the medical assessment unit.
The provision of any information or reports required by the medical assessment unit will be at your expense.
Policy cover for Existing Health Disorder cannot commence until We have reviewed the required information and advised acceptance of Our decision.
Any Existing Health Disorder cover is limited to the term of the original policy.
The conditions which follow are automatically covered under this Policy, subject to you satisfying provisions 1 and 2 below.
Provisions for Automatic Acceptance
1. Automatic acceptance is only available for Your conditions provided there are no planned procedures, and there have been no complications or exacerbations of the condition within the last 6 months. In all other circumstances, cover for Existing Health Disorders is subject to application and assessment as outlined under Assessment of application in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Policy Wording.
2. Automatic acceptance does not apply if You request an Existing Health Disorder assessment for any reason. If You request an Existing Health Disorder assessment Travel Guard will fairly assess Your application on the basis of Your medical history. Travel Guard cannot guarantee acceptance and the assessment outcome may be to decline cover for Existing Health Disorders even if You suffer a condition that is noted on the Automatic Acceptance list below.
If in any doubt we recommend that you undergo a medical assessment. Please note additional charges apply and applications can only be made by persons travelling under this policy.
• Asthma - nil attacks requiring hospitalisation or medical treatment within the last 12 months
• Broken/Fractured Bones (providing these are completely healed with no ongoing treatment or residual problem)
• Coeliac Disease
• Essential Tremor
• Gastric reflux
• Hiatus Hernia
• Hip/Knee Replacements - performed more than 12 months ago and no ongoing treatment
• Menopause / HRT
• Restless Leg Syndrome
• Varicose Veins
Some medical conditions and health-related events cannot be covered. These are summarised as follows:
• conditions for which you have been given a terminal or malignant prognosis
• sexually transmitted diseases or viruses
• AIDS, HIV or AIDS related conditions
• alcohol or drug addictions
• Your or suicide or attempted suicide or self injury.
• continuing with any form of treatment begun before your journey
• pregnancy or childbirth
• where you are travelling against medical advice
• where you are travelling for the purpose of obtaining medical advice or treatment
• any Existing Health Disorders of relative(s) who are not part of your travelling party.
For precise wording please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Policy Wording.
For more information
If you have any questions about our assessment, please contact Travel Guard® 1800 008 473.